United Kingdom: How do I complain to a gambling operator?

If you have a difference of opinion with a gambling operator, you should follow the process detailed below.  Examples of arguments or disputes include disagreeing about whether you have...

If you have a difference of opinion with a gambling operator, you should follow the process detailed below.  Examples of arguments or disputes include

  • disagreeing about whether you have won
  • how much you have been paid
  • the way your payments were managed
  • terms and conditions
  • bonus offers
  • ID verification
  • closure of your account
  • commercial decisions taken by operators such as the voiding of a bet
  • IT issues
  • customer service issues
  1. Make sure that you have read the terms and conditions that you agreed to upon placing your bet prior to making a complaint.
  2. Contact the operator. If you are an online customer, their contact details and advice on how to complain will be on their website.    If you are not an online customer, you can complain direct to a member of staff in a shop, arcade, bingo hall etc. Alternatively you can make use of our register of operating licence holders, which will provide head office addresses.
  3. Provide the operator with all the information about your complaint/dispute and provide any evidence you have. You should keep a full record of the complaint.
  4. The operator should investigate the complaint following their internal complaints procedure and informing you of the outcome.
  5. Please give the operator plenty of time to do this.  The length of time this takes will depend upon the nature of your complaint.
  6.  If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the operator’s investigation you may refer the dispute to their appointed Alternative Disputes Resolution provider – known as an ADR (an independent third party) for investigation.  The appointed ADR must be named in the operator’s complaint procedures or you can ask the operator to provide their contact details.  More information about the role of an ADR.
  7. Referral to an ADR is free of charge for customers, although you may be asked to provide information (such as copies of relevant documents) at your own cost.
  8. The ADR may contact you in the course of their investigation and will tell you their decision at the end.
  9. If you are still not satisfied with the decision you have the option to refer the matter to the courts.

How do I complain about a gambling operator?

If you wish to complain about the way a gambling business is being run, you should follow the process below to report information to us. For example:

  • if an operator fails to respond to a complaint that you have made
  • you believe a gambling arcade is allowing underage gambling
  • an operator is providing misleading information on their website

You should follow the process below when you raise a complaint:

  1. Make sure you have all the information you need to hand when you contact us. You will need to be clear about why you think you need to report an operator to us.
  2. Remember, we cannot help you to get your money back.
  3. You can make your complaint in writing to Gambling Commission, Victoria Square House, Victoria Square, Birmingham, B2 4BP, over the telephone on +44 121 230 6666, or by email to info@gamblingcommission.gov.uk.
  4. If we consider that you complaint is valid, we will want your permission to talk to the operator about you.

Can you help to get my money back?

We cannot help you get your money back. If you have lost a significant sum of money this may be an indication that you have a problem with gambling. If that is the case, you canask an operator  to exclude you from the premises or website and seek help from one of the problem gambling organisations.

Source: Gambling Commission